CMSC Press Release: CMSC Announces New President & Board Members
Sunday, August 31, 2014
CMSC Announces New President & Board Members
Top MS Organization for Healthcare Professionals Installs Multi-Disciplinary Officers
(Hackensack, NJ, August 2014)—The Consortium of Multiple Sclerosis Centers (CMSC) installed its newly elected officers during the Annual Meeting of CMSC & ACTRIMS (Americas Committee for Treatment and Research in Multiple Sclerosis) in Dallas, TX. CMSC leadership now includes professionals from neurology, social work, psychology and physiotherapy.
Robert P. Lisak, MD, Wayne State University School of Medicine Professor of Neurology, was installed as the new President of CMSC. Dr. Lisak’s most recent research findings involve the discovery that one or more substances produced by a type of immune cell in people with multiple sclerosis may play a role in the disease's progression. The finding could lead to new targeted therapies for MS treatment.
It is a great honor to be elected president of the CMSC, which is one of the leading organizations in the battle against multiple sclerosis through its broad multidiscipline approach to treatment, education and research, said Dr. Lisak.
I look forward to working with the Executive Board, Committee Chairs and Project Directors in providing relevant programs and resources for CMSC members and the healthcare community.
Joining Dr. Lisak on the Board of Governors Executive Committee are:
- Secretary: Patricia Bobryk, MHS, PT, MSCS, ATP, MS Comprehensive Care Center of Central Florida
- Treasurer: Michael Racke, MD, Ohio State University Medical Center
- Past President: Susan E. Bennett, PT, DPT, EdD, NCS, MSCS, University of Buffalo
Members at Large serving on the Executive Committee include: Ralph H.B. Benedict, PhD, Buffalo General Hospital; Guy J. Buckle, MD, Andrew C. Carlos MS Institute Shepherd Center; and Aliza Ben-Zacharia, DrNP, ANP-BC, MSCN, The Corinne Goldsmith Dickinson Center for Multiple Sclerosis.
The CMSC Board, which meets monthly, also consists of Standing Committees and Special Interests Group Chairs as well as Special Projects Directors. The Standing Committee positions are being held by:
- Advocacy: Marie A. Namey, RN, MSN, MSCN, Mellen Center for MS Treatment & Research and Omar Kahn, MD, Wayne State University
- Bylaws: Amy Perrin-Ross, APN, MSN, CNRN, Loyola University of Chicago MS
- Clinical Care: Christine Smith, OTR/L, MSCS, Ascend Rehabilitation
- Consensus Conferences: Scott Newsome, DO, John Hopkins Hospital
- Continuing Professional Education (CPE): Corey C. Ford, MD, PhD, MS Clinic, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center and Colleen J. Harris, RN, MN, MSCN, University of Calgary MS Clinic
- Abstract Reviews (CPE Subcommittee): Gary Thomas, MD, Penn State Hershey Medical Center and Amy Perrin-Ross, APN, MSN, CNRN, Loyola University of Chicago MS
- Scholarship (CPE Subcommittee): Ralph H.B. Benedict, PhD, Buffalo General Hospital
- Finance: Michael Racke, MD, Ohio State University Medical Center
- Membership: Patricia Bobryk, MHS, PT, MSCS, ATP, MS Comprehensive Care Center of Central Florida
- MS Certified Specialist: Kathy Zackowski, PhD, OTR, MSCS, John Hopkins Multiple Sclerosis Center
- MS Exchange Newsletter: Colleen J. Harris, RN, MN, MSCN, University of Calgary MS Clinic
- Research: Stephen S. Kamin, MD, Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
- Website: Lacey Bromley, PT, DPT, NCS, MSCS, University at Buffalo
Professionals elected to the Special Interest Groups are:
- IOMSRT: Nancy Lowenstein, MS OTR, BCPR, Mount Auburn Hospital MS Comprehensive Care Center
- MS/MHP: Roberta Winter, MSW, LCSW, MSCS, Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago
- VA Sig: Peggy Coffey, MD, VAMC-Tampa
The Standing Projects Directors are:
- International Journal of MS Care (IJMSC): Francois Bethoux, MD, The Cleveland Clinic
- NARCOMS: Gary Cutter, PhD, University of Alabama; Robert Fox, MD, Mellen Center for MS Treatment & Research; and Ruth Ann Marrie, MD, PhD, FRCP (C), University of Manitoba
For more information on the CMSC and how to become a member go to www.mscare.org. Presentations from the 2014 Annual Meeting of CMSC & ACTRIMS can be found at: http://www.mscare.org/?page=2014amslides
The Consortium of Multiple Sclerosis Centers (CMSC) is the leading educational, training, and networking organization for MS healthcare professionals and researchers. The CMSC’s mission is to promote quality multiple sclerosis care through educational programming and accreditation including live and online events, research grants, technical journals and papers, and targeted advocacy efforts. The CMSC member network includes more than 7,000 international healthcare clinicians and scientists committed to multiple sclerosis care as well as more than 60 Veterans Administration MS Programs and 225 MS Centers in the US, Canada, and Europe.
CMSC’s and IOMSN’s official, peer-reviewed journal, the International Journal of MS Care (IJMSC), publishes high-quality research, reviews, and consensus papers on a broad range of clinical topics of interest to MS healthcare professionals, and is mailed to its membership at no charge. All IJMSC content is available at http://ijmsc.org. For more information on the CMSC, visit www.mscare.org.